iSisters is committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by our stakeholders. We manage personal information in accordance with the Federal Protection of Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and other applicable laws. This policy outlines the principles and practices we follow in protecting personal information.
SCOPE OF POLICY:
This policy applies to information gathered by iSisters from its stakeholders. A copy of this policy is to be posted on the iSisters’ website: http://isisters.org/privacy-policy/.
KEY TERMS DEFINED:
‘Personal information’ means information about an identifiable individual. This includes an individual’s name, email, home address and phone number, age and gender.
Collection of personal information
- iSisters collects only the personal information that we need for the purposes of fulfilling our mission.
- iSisters normally collects stakeholder personal information directly from our stakeholders. We may collect your information from other parties with your consent or as authorized by law.
- iSisters informs its stakeholders, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which it is collecting the information.
- iSisters assumes that consent is provided to continue to use previously collected information for the purpose for which the information was collected. These purposes may include the delivery of requested services or the communication of information such as newsletter updates.
- An individual may withdraw their consent to use and disclose personal information at any time, unless the personal information is necessary for iSisters to fulfill its legal obligations.
Use and disclosure of Personal Information
- iSisters does not disclose any personal information. iSisters also does not sell, rent, share, or otherwise disclose mailing lists.
- iSisters makes every reasonable effort to ensure that personal information is accurate and complete. iSisters relies on individuals to notify us if there is a change to their personal information that may affect their relationship with our organization. Anyone that is aware of an error in iSisters’ information should contact iSisters and request a correction. iSisters will respond to this request within 30 calendar days, unless an extension is granted.
- iSisters protects personal information in a manner that is appropriate given the sensitivity of the information involved. iSisters will make every reasonable effort possible to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of personal information, as well as any unauthorized access to personal information.
- iSisters uses appropriate security measures when destroying personal information, including shredding paper records and permanently deleting electronic records.
- iSisters retains personal information for as long as is reasonable to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected, or for legal or business purposes.
Access to Records Containing Personal Information
- Individuals have a right to access their own personal information in a record that is in the custody or under the control of iSisters, subject to some exceptions. If iSisters refuses a request in whole or in part, we will provide the reasons for that refusal. In some cases where exceptions to access apply, iSisters may withhold specific information but provide access to the remainder of the record request.
- Requests for access to personal information may be made in writing to ExecutiveDirector@isisters.org. Requests must include sufficient information to allow iSisters to identify the information that is being sought.
- Individuals may request information about iSisters’ use of their personal information and what information has been disclosed to persons outside the iSisters organization. In addition, individuals may request a correction of an error or omission in personal information.
- The Executive Director is responsible for the protection of personal information at iSisters. The Chair of the Board is responsible for the protection of personal information regarding the Executive Director.
Questions and Complaints
Questions or concerns about any collection, use or disclosure of personal information by iSisters, or requests for access to an individual’s personal information, should be forwarded to the Executive Director of iSisters at ExecutiveDirector@isisters.org.
- Fundraising Policy
- Risk Management Policy
- April 28, 2014
- Jan. 22, 2019
- Dec 15, 2020